On the border between France and Spain in the Pyrenees

On the border between France and Spain in the Pyrenees
According to legend, the Brèche was cut by Roland, supposedly a nephew of Charlemagne, with his sword Durendal, while attempting to escape the Saracens during the Battle of Roncevaux Pass. This geological gap, if you will, seems like an appropriate metaphor for my personal attempts at Sense-Making.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Reflections on Fathers Day


In one way it was a fairly low-key Fathers Day for me, which suits me fine. A couple of funny cards, no obligatory store-bought gifts. I grilled some burgers and we enjoyed a family meal, something that I count as making me a most fortunate man. My wife and I have three sons ages 22, 18, and 13. I believe that I have a close relationship with each of them and that makes me feel like a success as a father, which is all that I really want and something that no one can give me.


In another way, it was a very emotional day for me. I was hardly able to talk without getting a catch in my throat. A lot has been going on that reminds me that life is a fragile and precious gift. Not the least of which is the knowledge that my sons are no longer boys. My oldest son is older now than I was when I got married. That certainly gives me pause for reflection and I think that may be the best thing for fathers to do on Fathers Day: take at least a few moments to reflect on how we are doing.

My father sent me a message recently with a passage written by Ruth Beebe Hill who asked: "will not each father look for the day when he sees his son walking beyond him?" As I think about each of my sons and where they are in the world at this point in their lives, I am amazed and proud at how much more mature, knowledgeable, confident, etc., each of them are than I was at the same age. I have a hard time trying to imagine what their world will be like when they reach my age, but I am confident they will each have made an impact to make it a better place. So, "thanks guys" for a good Fathers Day.

Resist the fear mongers, embrace freedom, celebrate life.


2 comments:

Melody said...

Dan, that was a pretty sweet reflection. Thanks for posting it on Facebook!!

Wishing you well,

Melody (from Denver Cohort IX, SLIM)

DRR59 said...

thanks