On the border between France and Spain in the Pyrenees

On the border between France and Spain in the Pyrenees
According to legend, the Brèche was cut by Roland, supposedly a nephew of Charlemagne, with his sword Durendal, while attempting to escape the Saracens during the Battle of Roncevaux Pass. This geological gap, if you will, seems like an appropriate metaphor for my personal attempts at Sense-Making.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bridging the gap to a new home

I apologize for the long hiatus. On August 8 I moved 950 miles from Emporia, Kansas to Kent, Ohio on a quest to start a new career as a professor in Library and Information Science at Kent State University. I have lived in Kansas for the past 24 years and 35 of the past 38 so this is a big change, full of many new experiences intensified by the fact that I am here by myself. To say that it has been a learning experience is a big understatement.


There have been several gaps encountered along the way:
  • The confusion of finding a place to live from a distance
  • The angst of living alone for the first time ever in my life
  • The confusion of a new geographical environment
  • The riddles of a new occupation in a new working culture
  • The muddles of being the new member of an established community
There have been episodes of high anxiety, second-guessing, and emotional unsettledness, but the good news is that a little over a week ago, while riding my bike home from work, it occurred to me that this is home. In the next few weeks I will report on the ways by which I arrived at this outcome in terms of Dervin's Sense-Making Methodology. 

Please stay tuned.  

1 comment:

@mountainCLYDE said...

Change is the best vehicle for personal growth. Glad that it is starting to feel like home -- its just the beginning!